CCA is pleased to present Bird Construction and Maple Reinders with the 2017 CCA Environmental Achievement Award for their success in implementing environmentally-sound practices into their Green Cart composting facility project with the City of Calgary, the first Canadian P3 compost project that is also on target to be the first LEED® Gold V4 facility in Alberta.
One unique and defining feature of the facility is that all processing activities are enclosed within a building. Furthermore, all the curing operations are housed in a separate enclosed building which greatly mitigates the potential for fugitive odour emissions. The enclosed and odour-controlled environment also allows the operations group to optimize the duration of the phases of the composting process. By doing so, the actual throughput and overall capacity of the plant is increased with little or no capital cost.
The project team designed a force main system that takes rainwater from a pond for use in the compost process. This achieved a 50.44% reduction in potable water use and no storm water will be discharged to the municipal sanitary system.
- 2016 PCL Construction
- 2015 Maple Reinders Group of Companies
- 2014 PCL Construction
- 2013 Maple Reinders
- 2012 JJM Construction
- 2011 Lafarge
- 2010 Black & McDonald
- 2009 Morsky HySpeed Soil Nailing
- 2008 Miller Paving
- 2007 Windmill Development Group
- 2006 Maple Reinders Constructors, honourable mention Morsky Industrial Services
- 2005 Dufferin Construction Company
- 2004 Maple Reinders
- 2003 Kindred Construction
- 2002 Miller Paving, honourable mention Ledcor Alberta
- 2001 Maritime Road Development