CCA is pleased to present both Mary-Anne Bowcott and Tom Rankin with the 2018 CCA Person of the Year Award.
Mary-Anne Bowcott has accomplished much in a short period of time. As a small-business owner, journeyman plumber, class B gasfitter, and certified steep-slope roofer, Mary-Anne is living proof that hard work pays off. The owner of Westcom Plumbing, Mary-Anne is a shining example of the 10% of women that make up the trades in B.C. She has also contributed to increasing the number of women in the industry by taking on numerous female apprentices since the inception of her company in 2015. In a few short years, she has grown her business and garnered the respect of not only her clients, but of her community – taking home the Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce Trades and Skilled Labour Excellence Award in 2017 and 2018 and the 2018 BC Construction Industry Leader Award.
Tom Rankin has been an active and successful leader in the construction industry for decades. In 1978, Tom partnered with Dave Stephens to co-found Stephens and Rankin Inc., a heavy civil construction company, which later became Rankin Construction Ltd. He also created Rankin Renewable Power Inc. (RRPI) which was involved in the development of policy for wind power that balances the enablement of green technology with minimized impact on the local community. Tom has been an active donor to various organizations, such as Goodwill Industries Niagara, Jericho House, Pathstone Mental Health, Wellspring Niagara, and St. Martin Elementary School, to name a few. His numerous awards include an Outstanding Engineering Award, an Outstanding Business Award from the City of St. Catharines and a Niagara Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame Award, among many others.
- 2017 Terry Brown, STBR Consulting Ltd.
- 2016 Paul Douglas, PCL Construction
- 2015 Barry Brown, Maple Leaf Construction
- 2013 Bill Gyles (Kinetic Construction)
- 2012 André Morin (Acier AGF)
- 2011 Dwight Brown (PCL)
- 2010 Walter Woloshyn (EllisDon)
- 2009 Paul Charette (Bird Construction Company)
- 2008 Don Oborowsky (Waiward Steel Fabricators)
- 2007 Leo McArthur (Miller Group of Companies)
- 2006 John Westeinde
- 2005 Paul McLellan (Mancon Holdings)
- 2003 Curtis Washer (Ontario General Contractors Association)
- 2002 Michael O'Malley (PCL Constructors)
- 2001 Ira Greenspoon (Greenspoon Brothers & Canadian Eagle Recyclers)